Saturday, January 5, 2008

A few words about Dan Fogelberg - A confessional of sorts




I learned of Dan Fogelberg's death at 6 AM on a Monday morning. As my favorite news anchor read the brief obituary, I literally doubled over in tears. My husband climbed out of bed and came toward me to be of some comfort. He looked at me and said, "I know, honey".
How could he possibly know? Over the past 8 years, I had lost my 40 year old brother to a traumatic brain injury, divorced and remarried through dramatic circumstances, slowly watched my mother fall into the depths of dementia and die, lost a stepfather, dealt with my husband's own bout with prostate cancer, and slammed head on into middle age. My mom died just a year ago, and the loss is still fresh for me. Dan's death seems to amplify a grief that has been growing for years.

I was raised in an emotionally explosive home, and music was my favorite hiding place. My first true love was Neil Young. I wrapped myself up in his music, and imagined that he could heal all of my hurts and keep me safe. At the tender age of 13 I spent hours in my room with Neil, my only friend, and the only person who understood me. I started playing guitar just so I could play and sing his music. I’m convinced that his music saved me somehow, and protected me from harsher realities. I loved Crosby, Stills and Nash too, and throughout the 1970’s, I immersed myself in music.

Enter Dan Fogelberg, my shining light and romantic ideal, some kind of beacon of hope for a lost and longing 17-year-old girl. My sister had a copy of his album “Captured Angel” and she let me borrow it. For a teenage girl, it was a most passionate and sensual experience. It increased my longing and yearning, but it also made me feel hopeful and embraced at the same time. I felt that Dan somehow "got me", and this gave me something to cling to.

Okay, I admit that I was terribly in love with him, and fantasized that if he could just meet me, that he would fall terribly in love too, sweep me away to his Colorado castle of love, and provide me with the unconditional love and connection that I felt that I never had. Of course there was the bonus of passion and love and incredible sex!

I yearned and ached for Dan Fogelberg. Somewhere inside of myself I believed that I knew who he was. I knew that he was sensitive and emotionally available, and I knew that he had all of the answers to my questions. I knew that he could somehow perfect my life. He had no flaws. He could keep me safe from a world that I felt was dangerous and unpredictable. These were my unshakable truths.

I never missed an opportunity to see him in concert during the 1970’s. He toured the Bay Area several times when he was at his most popular. Funny though, as I sat at these concerts, I somehow felt as if my life was passing me by, and that I would never be the person who I imagined that I might become. Somehow I just didn’t measure up to the golden pedestal that I had placed Dan upon. I would sit at these concerts in tears, because part of me went there with the hope of somehow meeting Dan. I went to hear the music yes, but I also went fantasizing that he might actually notice me. Perhaps there was a way back stage? There never was, and this left me feeling empty and disappointed.

Many years later, my sister and I went to see him in Northern California. I hadn’t kept track of Dan, or how his music had changed or evolved. In fact, I really hadn’t given him very much thought since I was in college. Having the opportunity to see him again was kind of exciting, and that old yearning seemed to be stirring within me.

We were seated at a front table at a very small venue. I could practically touch my former fantasy man. You would have thought that I would have been in some sort of ecstasy, and filled with gratitude at this opportunity to see him perform again. I know that this was years later and that I had evolved as a person, yet I was surprised when I noticed that I was filled with anxiety and hostility toward him. How opportune it was then, that I was able to finally get Dan’s attention.

I proceeded to get really drunk during the concert, and I kept yelling, "sing Netherlands", which is a song that he no longer could perform since having throat surgery, and "how about a Scotch, Dan"? assuming that he most certainly would want to join me in my merriment. Imagine my shock then when he turned to me and said in a less than friendly tone, "why don't you have another Scotch?" I was mortified.

After the concert, I felt angry and rejected. Poor Dan didn’t know that he had been in a one-sided and dysfunctional relationship with me for 20 years. How could he have known how much expectation and desire that I had projected upon him, and how could anyone have ever lived up to that in the first place?

A couple of years later, I returned to the scene of the crime. I think that I needed some kind of closure, and I guess that I still had a score to settle, with myself.

It was a good concert. It couldn’t have been a lovelier setting among the vineyards and the rolling hills of the Napa Valley. He performed beautifully, exuberantly. I sat in the audience with the same sister, sipping wine, the 17-year-old girl within me still feeling that void, while the 40-year- old silently wept for her injured child within.


On this night, I could finally see Dan Fogelberg not as some sort of romantic super savior for that lost 17-year-old kid still imprisoned within me, but as a figment of a child’s imagination.

Ironically, I could have apologized for my miscreant behavior from years earlier. My husband was born in Peoria Illinois, and his mother Mary lived there for most of her life until her death in 2006. A few years ago, we were visiting her in Peoria and I happened to mention Dan, since he was born and raised in Peoria as well. Mary said with some delight and pride, "I play bridge with his mother Maggie every week." “Really?” I exclaimed. Well, I may have actually squealed! Secretly, I was as excited as a kid on Christmas morning. I envisioned Dan’s gold records in Maggie’s living room, and had a faint hope of being invited over to her house for a visit.

Unbelievably, my mother in law had an inside line to my former love idol. We talked about it for a few minutes, then the conversation faded back to other matters, like what she needed from Schnuk's Supermarket, and where we would dine that evening.

I ended up meeting Maggie Fogelberg at my mother-in-law's funeral in 2006. She came in to the memorial, and we stood there and spoke quietly for a few minutes. We talked about my husband's mother, and we talked about Dan, and I told her how much he had meant to me over the years.

She was the proud mother of a man dying of prostate cancer. I never asked Maggie to put me in contact with Dan so that I could apologize to him. At the end of the day, it was enough that I was able to honor his mother. It was enough.

The morning that I learned of Dan’s death, I was not only grieving the death of a man who had symbolized my unmet needs and my desire for unconditional love and connection, I was coming face to face with my own disappointments, regrets, and the realization that I couldn’t go back and make different choices in my life. I was grieving the passing of my own youth.


We exchange Christmas cards yearly with Maggie, and my husband and I sent her a sympathy card upon Dan's death on December 16, 2007.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...your confessional was very raw and very brave. I'm glad you wrote it. But consider yourself lucky in that you were one of the few whose Dan's life touched on a more physical and palpable level. Your lives crossed in an indirect way and through your pain he was not just a symbol of unattainableness in your life, but instead he served as teacher to you, as you came to realize so much about yourself. It is therapeutic to hear stories such as yours and know that there are many others who were so deeply affected by Dan; you are not alone. I too have lost a brother who was only 48 when he died to a stroke. I lost my father last year and my mother suffers from Alzheimer's. Although, I loved his music since I was a young girl as well, I knew nothing about him, and he was never familiar to me except for his hypnotic and sensual Netherlands album and what I heard on the radio. I have only now began to realize what an important person he was to the music industry and am enjoying all the rest of his enormous diary of songs now after his passing. I'm in musical heaven these days. But I too felt that magical stirring and sensual awakening listening to Netherlands as you did with the other album, but I was never lucky enough to be able to sit near him and gaze at this magical person like you have been. Listening to his music and learning about him after his passing and reading stories from fans like yourself is therapy for me and all the hardships that I am enduring as well. My point being, Dan is helping people like you and me even now and people like you and I are helping each other through listening, reading and relating to one another's pain. I will remember you and your husband in my prayers and God Bless.

Morgan said...

I can't believe I am just finding this blog post in February of 2010. What an amazing story and confession. Your story and longing for Dan did not seem odd to me at all because I was that same teenager who latched onto his words, music and passion as if it were my own personal lifeboat through some tumultuous teen and college drama. Now in my 40's and going through a little rough patch--a crossroads I guess--I've been leaning on his music once again. I saw Dan 7 times and one of those times I had a backstage pass from the radio station I was working at at the time. He was on tour with Tim Weisberg.
Me and another couple, who were friends with Mr. Weisberg, sat and chatted with Tim for about an hour. Tim kept going back to find Dan as he knew I reeeeeeally wanted to meet him. Finally, after about an hour and a half, Tim finally told me "He's not coming out. I'm so sorry."
I was crushed. BUT, I did make a great acquaintance with Mr. Weisberg, who was just charming and totally delightful and funny as all get out.
I LOVE this and I am pleased to find another Fogelberg fan.

Toni M said...

Hey Morgan

I'm not sure whether you'll see this post, but I appreciate your reading my essay about Dan Fogelberg. HIs music was so very special, and I miss him too.

Toni

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Dan's music so thoroughly that, when I gave birth to my daughter in Nashville in 1976, I used the Lamaze and LeBoyer methods. I had the "Captured Angel" LP playing throughout the birth. It was a beautiful experience. My child still counts "Old Tennessee" as one of her favorite songs.

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely, touching story.....thanks for sharing your personal experience. I guess we all mourn our childhoods, regret decisions, and think wistfully about the passing of time. So nice to hear someone put words down that mirror my own in so many ways. As a Dan Fan for decades. I can relate.

bev said...

I have just found your story and sat reading it, practically in tears! Dan has been a hero to so many people, even tho he probably would not like that word. Now, over 4 years after he left us, he still saves me, almost daily! There are many Dan Fans on Facebook and I have connected with people who have become as close as family. I was in Peoria last year to celebrate the anniversary of The Innocent Age and Dan's birthday! What a wonderful weekend! Margaret Fogelberg was at the concert and the after party. She was sitting at the table next to me and turned and looked right at me! That was when I saw Dan in her face! I was so touched! He may be gone from this earthly plain, but his spirit is with us every day! Thank you for your story!

Anonymous said...

None of my friends or family have any appreciation for Dan Fogelberg. I'm so glad for these pages letting me know there are others who simply adore this musician/singer,songwriter and man.I want to go to the gathering in September but I will be alone and it might be weird but it's ok because it will be all about Dan.For so long I thought I was one of only a few people who felt so moved by this mans music but because of the internet( or as I like to call it.."my magic box" I know know many others feel exactly the same way and it really make me happy to know this. I'm stil really sad he's gone and I too was hit hard by the news. Thank Goodness for his dedicated fans and friends keeping his music and his memory vibrant for everyone to share. Thank you all.

Anonymous said...

All you girls got a lot out of Dan's words and music, and as a guy I really liked them also. Sometimes I felt I was reliving some of those songs in my relationships with women. Maybe the songs reminded me of the regrets I had over broken relationships. Dan's songs were more than that to me, though. I learned to love classical music partly because of Netherlands, and Dan brought me out of my prejudice toward harder rock when he covered "Rock and Roll Star" at The Stadium in Chicago (now a parking lot)in 1980?, and he helped me appreciate poetry with some of his writing, and I learned to like his style of country music, and by extension other country music (which I really didn't like at the time). I'm from Illinois, so I always liked the song, "Illinois", cuz' I'm an Illinois boy. I've been somewhat ashamed of being a Dan fan because I am a guy, and other guys aren't keen on him, but after reading the blog entry's here I realize I like him for different reasons than women do. One thing I am sure that Dan did not plan was that his songs, "Part of the Plan", and "These Days", played a small part in my coming to faith in Jesus Christ. "I have these moments so steady and strong, I'm feeling so holy and humble, then all of the sudden I'm worried and weak, I feel myself starting to crumble." -POTP and "I used to think of myself as a soldier, holding his own against impossible odds, badly outnumbered and caught in the crossfire of devils and gods" -These Days. These lyrics and others of Dan's were spiritual to me, and I used to think about them. At some point I started reading the Proverbs and I learned there the beginning of true knowledge, which is the fear of the Lord. It says "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge." That was an intriguing statement that I had to follow up on, and have been doing so ever since for about 30 years. Thank God for Dan Fogelburg, may he rest in peace.